Monday, September 19, 2011

The Beauty Chorus (Kate Lord Brown, 2011)

The Heroine: Evie Chase, a wealthy debutante with a passion for flying airplanes. At the beginning of World War II, she decides to join "the beauty chorus" – a group of female pilots working with the British army to ferry supplies to bases across England. Evie is witty, sharp, stubborn and surprisingly steadfast; she sticks to her guns and faces the world with a "come-and-get-it" attitude that I wish I could harness. Evie is not the stereo-typical rich girl in most novels, which is so refreshing.

The Highs: I really enjoyed the different perspectives provided in this novel, through the other female pilots, Stella and Megan. I liked how the author discusses issues important to women, like post-partum depression and inheriting/running a business, through these characters. I found that between Evie, Stella and Megan, there is a personality that everyone can relate to.

The romance between Evie and her commander, Beau, recalls the Elizabeth Bennett/Mr. Darcy love story. I personally adore love/hate relationships, as I think it gives sexual tension and suspense to a story. I'm also a sucker for military men!

The Lows: I didn't like the third-person omniscient POV, as sometimes the author randomly slipped in bits of information that the characters didn't know about each other. I found it confusing and odd. I also didn't appreciate the abundant amount of sub-plots; most of them seemed unnecessary and as a result, I am unable to deduct any real meaning from the novel that reads like a biography.

The random interjections by Amy Johnson at the beginning of the book seemed really pointless and it was never made clear why they were included. I think the book probably would have been better if it was based exclusively on the life of Amy Johnson!

As well, I found the writing style bland and boring. There was a definite lack of description, a big reason I didn't feel pulled into the world of "The Beauty Chorus". I also didn't feel like the emotions of the characters were poignant and real enough to influence my own emotional state, leaving me neutral and cold.

I also didn't find enough substance to the relationship between the woman and especially between Evie and Beau. Perhaps its just me, being a romance junkie, but I need those moments of love between a couple in order to believe it and, frankly, to stay interested.

The novel also leaves A LOT of loose ends. The novel ends really suddenly with no hint to the outcome of the characters.

Final Thoughts: I enjoyed reading the book, but I don't think it was worth the twenty dollars or so that it cost me at Chapters. After reading, I feel like I gained nothing and lost nothing – it basically made little impression on me.

Rating: "The Beauty Chorus" only earns five wings out of ten.

To buy the book on Amazon, click here
To connect with the author, click here
Photos from here

4 comments:

  1. I have this on my wishlist and keep thinking about getting it, so it's great to read your review on it and get your perspective, I don't think I'll rush out to get it but would pick it up at some point in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this book before and to be honest, it doesn't sound like my cup of tea but I'll put it on my list anyway. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a thoughtful and thorough review. it's good of you to write what you like as well as what you didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading, guys! I love to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...