Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Top Ten Tuesdays!


This is a feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish that I've decided to add to the roster here at Books Are My Heroine. Every Tuesday, I'll be posting a top ten list that answers the questions posted at The Broke and The Bookish. As a big David Letterman fan, I'm psyched to have my own Top Tens!

This Tuesday.... Top Ten Books I Wish I Could Read Again for the First Time

1. Harry Potter (1-7) by JK Rowling: I think this will hit the top spot on most readers' lists. JKR is a master at suspense, mystery and action and while re-reading these books still excite me, I wish I could feel that on-the-edge-of-my-seat sensation I felt the first time I cracked them open. 

2. The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons: I'm pretty sure everyone who reads my blog is aware of my adoration of this book. I still re-read it constantly, but I still remember being curled up in my bed at 4 a.m., tears streaming down my face, unable to put the book down for the night. 

3. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer: The first time I read this book, I was so compelled by the story that I failed to notice the weak writing, bad plot and the constant repetitions of the same cliches. Alas, I am no longer able to open this book without cringing. 

4. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton: I simply adore this book. I devoured it over the course of two days, determined to find out the solution to the mystery of Nell's family. While I think this book will still be enjoyable the next time I read it, everyone knows that mystery's just aren't as intriguing when you already know how its solved. 

5. Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay: This book enraptured me the first time I read it, mostly because of the shock factor: not to spoil anything for anyone who might not have read it, but there's a particular bit of goriness that stuck with me. However, when I read it a second time (as well as her follow-up novel, A Secret Kept) I found the writing rather dry and simplistic. 

6. The Pact by Jodi Picoult: This book made me cry, threw me into fits of rage and depressed me for weeks. However, I still to this day think that its an amazing book - it takes a fantastic story and an even better writer to provoke that kind of response. Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to pick up this book very often because I fear it may cause me to be thrust into a depressive episode a la Emily Gold. 

7. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown: Whatever anyone says about Dan Brown and his books, I still love The Da Vinci Code. It prompted my first spark of interest in art, a passion that I have now chosen as a career path. However, while I still re-read this at least once a year, a mystery is never as good the second time around. 

8. Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood: I remember reading this book as a fourteen year old, still stuck in the middle of high school drama with my own, real life Cordelia. I loved this book fiercely because it seemed like the main character was kindred spirit. This book, now that I'm out of high school, doesn't cause the same effect in me as in my childhood self (though its still a great book!)

9. Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay: I love Russia, I love ballet, I love romance. Most of all, I love a good mystery. This book is a great read, though I wish I could get that "whodunit" curiosity back. 

10. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine: I loved this book when I was a young girl, and I still love it as an adult. I cannot wait to have children just so I can share this story with them! But it often makes me wish I could be a child again and go back to the time when fairies and magic seemed real...

NEXT UP: a review of The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

5 comments:

  1. How crazy only Twilight is what I've read off your list. I loved Ella Enchanted the movie, didn't even know there was a book will have to check it out. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ella Enchanted (the book) is very different from the movie and about ten thousand times better. Thanks for checking my list out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to your review on The Forgotten Garden by Morton. I read this one last year. I have her The Distant Hours & The House at Riverton in my TBR to be read. I really enjoyed TFG!

    I liked Sarah's Key, but not enough to read her second novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I would not recommend "A Secret Kept". I found it kind of dull and I had to push myself to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Thank you for your comment on my post and for following! I don't know anything about most of the books you write about, but your blog seems lovely and I'll be following :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...