Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Wishlist Wednesday!


Wishlist Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Dani at Pen to Paper that gives bloggers a chance to share books from our wishlist with our readers! This week, I looked into the other works by Revolution's author, Jennifer Donelly, and found a trilogy I am now adding to my must-read list. Starting with The Tea Rose, this multi-generational trilogy takes place in the late 1800s to the early twentieth century. Here's the Goodreads synopsis of The Tea Rose
East London, 1888 - a city apart. A place of shadow and light where thieves, whores, and dreamers mingle, where children play in the cobbled streets by day and a killer stalks at night, where bright hopes meet the darkest truths. Here, by the whispering waters of the Thames, Fiona Finnegan, a worker in a tea factory, hopes to own a shop one day, together with her lifelong love, Joe Bristow, a costermonger's son. With nothing but their faith in each other to spur them on, Fiona and Joe struggle, save, and sacrifice to achieve their dreams.  
But Fiona's life is shattered when the actions of a dark and brutal man take from her nearly everything-and everyone-she holds dear. Fearing her own death, she is forced to flee London for New York. There, her indomitable spirit propels her rise from a modest West Side shop-front to the top of Manhattan's tea trade. But Fiona's old ghosts do not rest quietly, and to silence them, she must venture back to the London of her childhood, where a deadly confrontation with her past becomes the key to her future. 
This book excites me because of its historical setting, its brave and independent heroine and the inclusion of Jack the Ripper, of course! As grisly as it is, blood and gore are some of the best markers of a suspenseful plot and I love nothing more than an exciting mystery. I also enjoyed Jennifer Donnelly's writing in her novel Revolution, so I am eager to try out another one of her stories. The two books following The Tea Rose are The Winter Rose, the story of a female doctor and a gangster in 1900, and The Wild Rose, about a female mountain climber and the two men vying for her heart. All three sound promising and I can't wait to snatch them up!

4 comments:

  1. OOhh...love historical Fiction with some suspense mixed in...this one sounds really good!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I can't wait to pick these books up! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm this far behind in google reader!

    Anyway, I've read the first two in this trilogy and enjoyed them very much! First of all, they are long, satisfying reads. I really enjoy long reads that keep your interests, which they do. I still have to read the Wild Rose. It's just a bit of a bugger because there was so long between books! If you can get all three, read them back to back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know that they live up to my expectations! :) Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to put all three on hold at the library at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...