Saturday, April 28, 2012

Eat, Pray, Love (Elizabeth Gilbert, 2006)


The Heroine: Elizabeth Gilbert, a real-life writer and journalist on the edge of a mid-life crisis as her marriage falls apart. Combating depression in the midst of a messy divorce, Liz decides to embark on a journey across Italy, India and Indonesia in order to learn what each culture knows best: pleasure in Italy, spirituality in India and balance in Bali. From encountering new friends in Italy, to struggling with meditation in India, to finding love in Italy, Eat, Pray, Love encompasses all genres into one extremely funny, entertaining and touching memoir.

The Highs: All women should read Eat, Pray, Love. While Elizabeth Gilbert's style is light, playful and humourous, this book is ultimately the tale of a women's fight to overcome her personal demons and move on from life's hardships. Inspiring, uplifting and life-affirming, Eat, Pray, Love is a lesson in happiness as the readers learn along with Elizabeth on her journey of self-discovery. I first read this book last year and since then I have re-read it quite a few more times!

Elizabeth Gilbert is an extremely personable narrator; I don't think even she could have invented a better protagonist! By the end of the book, Liz feels as if she is both your best friend and your sister. Candid and personal, Liz bares her soul to her readers and lays her vulnerabilities open for all to see. I must applaud her for her courage and tenacity, as I learned a lot about myself while reading about her struggles – I suppose I could credit her for providing a valuable psychological health service! By sharing her struggles, I'm sure there are millions of women who feel less alone in their own troubles and pain.

For travel junkies, Eat, Pray, Love is a must-read. Since Liz spent four months living in each country, she had a great range of experiences and got to see things most vacationers and tourists miss out on. I know I'm dying to go to Bali since reading Liz's lush descriptions – and I've taken note on what she claimed is the best pizza in all of Italy!

The Lows: For those who have no interest in the subject of spirituality, you may not enjoy Eat, Pray, Love as much as I did. Liz spends a lot of time mulling over the topics of spirituality, as well as spends four months staying in an ashram in India. While I found Liz's spiritual exploration fascinating, others might find it tedious or boring.

I have never seen the movie version of Eat, Pray, Love, so I have no comments to make on how closely the film follows the book.

Final Thoughts: Eat, Pray, Love is a feel-good read with an added dose of spiritual soul-searching.

Rating: Eat, Pray, Love earns nine bowls of pasta out of ten. 

Connect with author Elizabeth Gilbert here
Photo from here

3 comments:

  1. I loved loved the book so much more then the movie. Loved your thoughts on this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That's exactly why I never saw the movie, I love this book so much that I don't want a movie to ruin it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT BOOK.

    Everyone, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, etc will love this book.

    Marlene
    Samsung Level Box

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...